This week our Travel Themed prompt for the month is ‘Interesting/Weird Layovers’ and I look forward to hearing what you accomplished in the few (or many) hours between flights. As always do not feel you cannot linkup next week if you do not participate. Any travel or expat related posts are always welcome!
When the word ‘layover’ comes to mind, Zurich quickly follows it. I was eighteen years old and I had just been back in Naples, Italy visiting friends and my church family for my senior trip, post graduation, before starting University that Autumn. My flight from Rome to Zurich had been quite tight, and so much so that I missed my connecting flight out of Switzerland. I remember feeling quite nervous, even as a well seasoned traveler at that age. This had been my first overseas trip flying solo and now what was I supposed to do?
After talking with the airline staff I was notified they would get me a shuttle to a hotel, where a room and food would be paid for and I could catch the next flight out in the morning. My room was amazing and I called my parents first thing to let them know about the delay. My mum recommended I go out and explore and so that is just what I did. I went out and saw the town, found a place to eat, and even caught a film (saw Traffic). It helped that Switzerland is one of my favourite places in Europe and it was nice to have an extended part to my senior trip. What could have been a horrible experience of a layover stuck in an airport, ended up being a lush added day to my vacation. I will always remember it fondly.
Q: Have you had any interesting layovers? Where did you get stuck?
This last week I really enjoyed Corinne’s post
about Qatar. I have never been there, but my father had been there a few times with the US Air Force. I have since then met a few people whom have been there whether with the military, their civilian job, or as a trip. Since my father is no longer with us, I would love to go places he has been to that I have yet to see with my own eyes. So thank you so much girl for sharing this post with us this week! Really enjoyed seeing your photographs.
Ready to link up?
1. SHARE a post about travel! From road trips to trips abroad and from past travels to dream vacations. You can write about travel tips and tricks, favorite places to stay, or anything in between! Just make it about traveling somewhere!
2. GRAB the lovely button above. If you run into trouble, just make sure to mention Bonnie, Camila, Jessi, and Amy in a link! 3. LINK-UP goes live every Tuesday at 0800 GMT. Make sure to comment here, on the co-hosts blogs, and visit around!
1. Please only one linked up post per blogger. Save other posts for future link-ups!
2. The last Tuesday of every month will be a themed prompt if you want to join in!
3. HOP around and meet new travel loving bloggers! Check back to visit some of the newer travel posts!