I headed into town today despite the fact that I will have nineteen children at my house tomorrow for my son’s party, and there is still much to do in preparation. I felt like being spontaneous and so I met up with my husband on his lunch break to try out Coffee @ Camden in Bath. Technically it is in Camden which you can get to from the Bath city centre in a mere five minutes. If you happen to come on a nice day I highly recommend sitting outside. Their back patio area is very nice and has a picturesque view. Which was lovely especially when the sun hid back behind the clouds and it got a bit colder.
My husband ordered an Americano with the Camden Club, which is served with kettle chips, and I ordered a cafe latte and the Frittata from their lunch menu. The Frittata was delicious and it came with a side salad, bread, and chutney. The best part was being pleasantly surprised by the fact that the bread was still warm. I could easily order the same thing next time if I do not try one of their five variations of panini.
Since this was a rare ‘day date’ with my husband, I decided to treat myself to the cupcakes I had seen photos of from their Coffee @ Camden facebook
page. I paired my vanilla cupcake with a hot chocolate complete with cream, marshmallows, and sprinkles for a full sweet sugar fix. It hit the spot.
When you come you must ask about their amazing chili jam. We bought a very large jar of it a week back from their stall near Milsom Place on a weekend. It literally goes quite well with anything. Toast, chicken, eggs, crackers, or even just off a spoon. We must have tried it on almost everything because our jar is now almost empty. Otherwise I would have shared a photo with you. Maybe with the next jar. 😉
with breakfast being served until 11am. You can view their full menu
Coffee @ Camden
2 Claremont Terrace, Camden, Bath, BA1 3EH
Pancake Day. Could there be another day sweeter? Valentines Day is in two days time, but for now lets focus on the circular sweet goodness on my plate this morning. Did I mention it was shaped like hearts?
|Homemade Beet Pancakes are a perfect (all natural) colour option for Valentines Day.
|Traditional English Pancake with butter, sugar, and lemon served at Ella’s Yummy Delights in Brighton, England.
|Homemade zucchini pancakes are a huge hit with my boys. Here they are embellished with Nutella and fresh strawberries.
|Heart shaped pancakes I made this morning with a sprinkling of a stevia & cinnamon mixture.
200ml whole milk
Unsalted butter for greasing
1. Start by sifting the flour into a medium sized bowl with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the center.
2. In a separate bowl beat together two eggs, add the milk, and mix again.
3. Slowly pour the liquid into the well you created as you mix in the flour. Do not over mix, just stir it all until all combined.
4. Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Once you hear the butter sizzling you can add the pancake mixture. To make the hearts below use a spoon to pour the mixture slowly into a heart outline. Then spoon some more pancake batter into the middle of the outline to fill in your heart.
5. Air bubbles will form when the pancake is ready to be flipped. If you have your heat on too high you will notice that when you flip your pancake it will be over cooked. Flip the pancake over with a spatula. Once cooked on both sides place on the plate and repeat.
Extras: If you would like to try out some of our veggie pancakes above (or just want to sneak in some extra nutrients for your family) you can add ingredients to the batter before you pour it on the pan. For our Beets and Zucchini pancakes the vegetables are washed and then graded finely with a cheese grader or mandolin. We used two cups of beets to make pancakes for a family of four. A little butter sometimes is all we need to top the veggie pancakes because they are so tasty!
If you are in the Brighton area, I highly suggest stopping at Ella’s Yummy Delights. We enjoyed having our Pancake Day there last year and the service was lovely. With their location near the Brighton rail station, it is a perfect first or last stop while you are in town. Thank you Ella’s for the delicious food!