While I have been enjoying the online photos of my friends playing in fluffy white snow and on winter vacations, I have been experiencing a very wet winter here in England. Between the news updates of Somerset’s current flood crisis and the number of umbrellas that we have had damaged by the strong winds, it draws my thoughts to our past years of living the island of life in Hawaii. Where a simple trip to the beach bought happiness, a rainbow resulted in a smile, and people walked around with aloha spirit. The point of it all being that weather can really have an effect on our mood. So what do we do when we get burdened down by the ‘winter blues’?
5 Simple Ways to ward off the Winter Blues:
1. Add vibrant flowers to every room as suggested in this blog post. Have Spring begin early in your house by having flowers to appease your senses. Opt to vibrant and bright colours that will keep the winter blues at bay. Browse your local flower stall to see what is available in your area. Or purchase artificial flowers and use essential oils for natural perfumes.
2. Pamper Yourself. Do something special to help you get through the winter months. Bring the pampering to you with a new nail varnish in a bright and happy colour. Or a relaxing day at the spa or a massage to relieve those tired muscles. There are always great local deals to be found on groupon to keep your budget happy.
3. Fuel up on mood boosting foods. While warm heavy foods become comfort in the winter months, make sure to think about things that can boost your mood too. Brazil nuts, sardines, oysters, porridge oats, bananas, lentils, spinach, yoghurt, and dark chocolate will do wonders to keep you going strong. Do not forget to drink enough water as it will be beneficial through the winter months too. Try to keep things like sugar, caffeine, and alcohol to a minimum as they will have opposite effects.
4. Keep Connected. The winter months make it easier to stay at home or forgo social engagements due to inclement weather. Make sure not to hibernate all season by yourself. Schedule an event with friends or meet up for a coffee to catch up. Filling up your social calendar will be a sure fire way to keep the moody blues at bay. I have you covered with ideas for when you need to find your happiness.
5. Create a Mood Board for the Summer. You can choose a tangible board with clippings from magazines or an online version with Pinterest to pin things you are looking forward to in the coming months. When you feel the winter blues are upon you take a moment to go through your mood board to uplift your spirit.
Seasonal depression is a real thing and do not feel afraid to speak up if you are feeling extra low this winter. Keep these tips in mind and find a friend with whom you trust that you can talk too. More tips for Beating the Blues to a Happier You can be found in my guest post. Remember Spring is just around the corner!
* Image belongs to Bonnie Rose Photography © 2007 – 2014 All rights reserved | www.bonnie-rose.co.uk