Q: “What season is your favourite to travel in and where would you go based on your answer?”
If I was not a photographer this next bit would not have bothered me so much. I am sure many people come every day and never have this view point…or I just love Harry Potter way too much and my expectations got shattered. I usually always have my 50mm on my DSLR because it is a great portrait lens and I was getting nice portraits of my mum and sister with my family while they were visiting. However due to the close proximity of the queue of other HP fans and where the staff members were located there was no way to get a ‘perfect’ shot. I had to shoot off from the side and I could not get back as far as I needed too. For the portraits I took it ended up being okay but for my portraits the family member that took my photo cropped out important parts of Platform 9 and 3/4. Not to mention the lens did not work for our family shot when we had to all look sideways.
The answer for that would be okay I will rely on the photographers they have to take our portraits. They are armed with nice DSLRs and flashes and look all professional with their HP staff badges. Everyone gets their photo taken in time with the guy who fluffs the scarf in the air. You can view your photo at the gift shop and purchase it to take home. So I thought…sure maybe we can get the family one from the store. The gift shop was not the place to be if you do not like small cramped spaces as it does not do well with crowds of people. Then when I finally saw our photo my heart sank. I maybe would have taken it if it was free but I certainly was not going to pay money for that shot. It was horrible.
Here is my thought on purchasing the photos. Right above where platform 9 and 3/4 is located they have huge wonderful skylights. So unless it is nighttime or extremely stormy out you are going to have wonderful natural lighting coming down like you were in a fabulous photo studio. Yet the staff taking photo use their flash for every one. I cannot comment whether they change their settings during their shift but after seeing our photo I would have definitely changed the exposure and better yet taken it without the flash. It was the one time I got really frustrated. It really is hard when you know so much about a something that it kinda ruins the experience when it is out of your control. So we did not buy that photograph and we walked away with photos that despite the weird angle are far better exposed.
My husband reminded me that they also say to you in the queue something to the tune of ‘You can take your own photos but they will not be as good as ours.’
I love Harry Potter and I hope to go again and maybe beat the crowd control during a quieter time. Also cannot wait to go to the Harry Potter tour in London too! Have you been?
*Photography by Bonnie Rose Photography © 2007 – 2013 All Rights Reserved | www.bonnie-rose.co.uk
4. Hop around and meet new travel loving bloggers! Link up will be open for a few days, make sure to check back to visit some of the newer travel posts!
*photography belongs to Bonnie Rose of Bonnie Rose Photography © 2007 – 2013 | All Rights reserved – www.bonnie-rose.co.uk
My husband I in Paris on our 9th Wedding Anniversary 2.8.12
My boys left recently with my in-laws to go back to the USA for seven weeks this summer. I will be joining them after I get back from my trip with my partner to mainland Europe. It will be 11 years since I have been back to my home in Napoli, Italia where I grew up twice for a total of 6 years. As much as I cannot wait to go back home and that I hope it does not go by too fast, I am really looking forward to seeing my boys again in three weeks. We have had to be apart in different countries or continents four times over the last seven years, and it does not get easier. Things can be quite loud at home when you are raising two boys, but after about 4 hours of silence it has been too quiet. I miss them so much. Going to look back over their last week here in England and highlight the best parts of our time together.
|Bowling with my boys.
|My boys just finished reading The Prisoner of Azkaban. Their reward?
Getting to see the film for the first time and Ive promised butterbeer.
#butterbeer #harrypotter #book #read
|My partner and I at dinner tonight.
|My boys with their chapter books for Summer reading.
#book #read #summer #dragon #samuraihttp://instagr.am/p/NGpmxmIk1U/
|Fresh flowers decorate the arch of the church this morning.
#church #lindfield #door #flowers #arch #allsaints http://instagr.am/p/NGZuLhok_V
|Secret! Today I noticed a filled in stairway in church.
#history #church #lindfield #allsaints #stairs #hidden #secret #arch #old http://instagr.am/p/NGkixsokzA/
Peach rose bush in Lindfield
#rose #peach #roses #lindfield #cloud
|Watching the ducklings after church
#ducks #church #allsaints #lindfield http://instagr.am/p/NHvMTcIk3e/
|My OCD has paid off. In the process of organizing one giant box of legos
into several easy to categories, we located the missing Sonic Screwdriver.
#sonicscrewdriver #doctorwho #tardis #lego #OCDhttp://instagr.am/p/NIyod_ok4l/
|Classy. My sons drinking milk from the ‘fancy’ glasses.http://instagr.am/p/NI-Misok7k/|
|Taught my boys how to wear their new hats from River Island.
#riverisland #hiphop #hat #summer #boyshttp://instagr.am/p/NJQjBsokx-/
|Ronan. Your smile melts my heart.
#ronan #hat #hiphop #batman #smilehttp://instagr.am/p/NJgMJook5I/
|Maddox. He looks older with that chocolate mustache.
#hat #maddox #max #hiphop #mustache #costa #son http://instagr.am/p/NJgZmfok5P/
|Maddox and I painted our nails. He chose rockstar grey
and I chose a matte orange-y pink.
#nails #colour #pink #orange #grey #hands http://instagr.am/p/NJ0Q2Bok0L/
#hair #hairstyle #plaits #braidhttp://instagr.am/p/NEsrUqIkwM/
|My son twirls his hair when he reads.
#socute #hair #read #book #boy #twirl http://instagr.am/p/NJ-_ohIk61/
|Last night with my boys at the pub before their flight back to the USA.
#raisingboys #pub #food #dinner #family @ryana_official http://instagr.am/p/NMTuJuokwW
My son making sure no one eats his mushrooms.
Dont worry, Papa doesnt like them.
#food #mushrooms #pub #son
|Desserts are stressed spelled backwards.
#pub #dessert #food #etonmess http://instagr.am/p/NMcgJ0ok12/
|Gave Maddox a haircut at midnight. Now we are whispering
stories before we fall asleep. Early flight tomorrow.
#hairstyle #haircut #maddox #max #shorthttp://instagr.am/p/NM2XdLIk2C/
|The boys found one of my necklaces, and since its a rarity
that I wear gold I let Max have it.He looks so grown up.
#chain #gold #maddox #max #hat #hiphop #boy #sonhttp://instagr.am/p/NNxPo_Ik2K/
|Amazing how awake my boys were at 0500 for a photo op.
Took these right before they left for the airport.
#raisingboys #son #hat #hiphop #shaka #hilife #peace #smile #boy http://instagr.am/p/NN0M1QIk2w/
|I have never seen so much of my dad (RIP) in Maddox than today.
I wish had photos of him at Maddox age to compare.
#dad #son #grandson #expression #photobooth #genes #maddox #max http://instagr.am/p/NOCtTjIk5z/
- Just awoken from a dream about Dad. He had sent me a care package and it had just arrived in the post. I wish there was mail services between here and Heaven.
- Second time seeing this film. First time I bawled like a baby in the theatre because De Niro’s character reminds me … http://t.co/6k0fIXm7
- After beating ME3, going back through the games starting with the first one. http://t.co/Mm0mU3nC @GetGlue #MassEffect
- Living vicariously through @SethGreen this week while his Instagram feed shows photos from @Comic_Con #SDCC #SDCC2012
- Finally watched the big episode about Sam Ax’s fate. Michael & Fiona are my favourite tv couple.
- Boys and I read this last year and found the movie on lovefilm today. We are discussing how cool it would be to live in a tree house. The film makes us miss island life on Hawaii.
- I love that the Hill’s Whitney Port is a judge this season.
- Wearing my Deanna Troi shirt to dinner with Magners and @ryanA_official #nextgeneration #startrek #nerd #cidre http://t.co/pAhm88rJ
- Gearing up for London 2012 by introducing my boys to a film from my childhood. Belly laughs galore!
- Jessica Biel to play Viper in yhe next Wolverine film…awesome! #wolverine #comics
- “That’s right, Kenny. The babysitter is dead.” Im pretty sure my sister, Zoë, and I could quote the whole film.
- Woah it is the Doctor in Lego form at #SDCC #doctorwho #SDCC2012 #cosplay http://t.co/ZKfMiG2n
- Madonna may be 53, but she does not look a day over 35 @MadonnaWorld #Madonna #MDNAParis #MDNATourhttp://t.co/bHF2KdJZ http://t.co/umJP3QA3
- 4 Reasons I wish I could have gone to ComicCon: @Bourdain @GroovyBruce @sethgreen @mattsmith_dw TY to those who posted pics #SDCC #SDCC2012
- I have some down time and wanted to shoot. But out of apples and oranges and the store closed 30min ago. #selfportraitchallenge2012
- TKMaxx has a lot of surf wear…a lot of Billabong. Makes me forget Im living in the UK and its raining. #beach #surf #tkmaxx #billabong
- Found a pink Hello Kitty espresso maker. #hellokitty #espresso #coffee #pink #purple #tkmaxxhttp://t.co/LKtJcoZD
- It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
- Photo: Preview of my latest self portrait entitled ‘Orange Crate’. #selfportrait #self #orange #oranges…http://t.co/o2n2hH0J
- The back of my FIL’s shirt. I miss Haleiwa. #hawaii #haleiwa #shirt #turtle #honu #alohahttp://t.co/pNU3urrn
- Their suitcase packed, their outfit laid out, & carryon ready. Let my boys sleep in my room. Want to stay up & listen to them sleep. Peace.
- Just said goodbye to my boys. They left with inlaws for 7 wks in the USA. Safe drive & safe flight. Mummy misses u.http://t.co/nAUl6AmJ
My boys have been counting down the days for weeks until their Papa and Mimi come over to England. The day finally arrived last week and there have been smiles all around. The first full day the boys got to show them around their school as we went in for the award ceremony. The boys met me at work on Friday and we went out for smoothies afterwards. We spent the afternoon painting and played games together. On Saturday we took the boys to Crawley to see the new Spiderman film and it really exceeded my expectations. We had our first mexican meal in over a year at a nearby restaurant in the town. What was really interesting inside were the chandaliers. A few were made from old spoons and one from old bottles. I posted photos from the below. Sunday the boys and I walked into Lindfield for church. We got to see the little ducklings and they are just as cute as ever. Unfortunately the English summer rain caught us in the downpour. Monday we decided to go see Bodiam castle and there we were greeted by hoards of ducks. They were quite cute and we had fun feeding them. Another creature I found was a fuzzy little bat sleeping on the castle wall inside. It was quite cute. On the way back we decided to take a detour to the beach in Hastings. The weather was so cold and it made me miss the warm Hawaiian sun. We caught up with the rain again on Tuesday, this time in London. We went to the British museum for most of the day and I think the highlight for me was the Picasso exhibit. The boys really enjoyed seeing the mummies. While on the subway we were right next to the actress from Doctor Who (and ER), Alex Kingston, who plays River Song. No photo unfortunately to share but it was another highlight of the day. The boys enjoyed playing on the pirate ship at Hyde park while it was not raining. It has been a good first week. Just one more week left with the boys before they head over to the US. I am sure it will go by way too fast.
The inlaws surprise the boys at school.
Ronan reads his story to his Papa and Mimi at school.
My boys receiving their awards at the end of the year award ceremony at their school.
2 for 1 smoothies today at
Painting with watercolours with my sons.
#painting #watercolour #watercolor #drawing #art
#art #artwork #painting #watercolor #watercolour #girl
Lost a game of Monopoly to my father-in-law. I traded Mayfair to complete the pink properties…and then landed on both blue properties!
#monopoly #pink #Mayfair #gamenight
Waiting for the rain to stop and the pub to open for lunch.
#selfportrait #rain #England
The baby ducklings in Lindfield are getting bigger and are still so very cute.
#ducks #lindfield #pond
For ‘blood sucking’ creatures of the night they are quite fuzzy and cute.
I caught this duck drinking from the dog bowl.
|I had him eating out of my hand.|
He is a silly knight named Maxalot.
At the seaside in Hastings
Fish faces with my son Maddox
- 9 and half hours till their arrival. #inlawshttp://t.co/q2e4eVef
- Best part of my morning? Finding a 2 pence coin in the hose of my hoover. No wonder it lost suction. Glad its not broken. #firstworldproblem
- My american father in law is playing chicken with on coming traffic when deciding what lane to drive in here in the UK. :/
- Clean house and just finished the dishes from supper. Whats a girl to do but kick up her feet with a cup of tea.http://t.co/ZYj1Wcw2
- Photo: Painting with watercolours with my sons. #painting #watercolour #watercolor #drawing #art (Taken with…http://t.co/uj3g70Xl
- Photo: Lost a game of Monopoly to my father-in-law. I traded Mayfair to complete the pink properties…and…http://t.co/tsEFelGF
- Watching Karl in Mexico with the hubs and my father-in-law. Yay for hearty belly laughs.
- “What Naples is, is a damn beautiful.” – Anthony Bourdain So excited about going back home to bella Napoli this summer!
- Have focused on pushups lately. Sleeping with my hands behind my head, cant tell if its painful in my chest muscles or feels great #exercise
- Hoping it is better than the last three, than again Im not a fan of Tobey as Spidey. http://t.co/NfG09PFT @GetGlue #AmazingSpiderMan
- IDK whats more exciting, the next Bond film, another Batman film with Christian Bale or the newest film in the Bourne Series.
- I ♥ High tops for guys. Can you suggest brands that make affordable ones in boys sizes? My kids outgrow shoes fast. pic.twitter.com/ZDZhIkIV
- Going back through the series starting with season I of NCIS
- Slept on my neck wrong and today my neck progressively keeps getting worse. Hurts to hold my head up. #painful
- My 5 yo went from not reading at all in Aug to tonight where he read from Harry Potter to me. So proud. I ♥ reading HP with my sons. #read
- What do you call a Frenchman wearing sandals? >>>>>>>>>>Philippe Phillop. #joke
- Bachelor is Spencer Mathews from Made in Chelsea. Game on.
- Making faces on the train commute to Londonhttp://t.co/3NDT2lAb
- Photo: Self portrait in castle by candlelight #selfportrait #castle @thebonnierose http://t.co/U776ROvx…http://t.co/BX8V1Mrx
- Just rode on the subway two seats away from Alex Kingston aka River Song #doctorwho
- Today I sat next to Alex Kingston on the subway, saw a Japanese artifact that looked like a dalek, and spotted this doctor who bank note at the #BritishMuseum #doctorwho #dalek #tardis
- Woke up from an extended afternoon nap just in time for dinner and a thunderstorm. The rain and thunder sound so beautiful. #rain
- Just shy of 0430 and watching the sun come up.
Sometimes this is how I feel.
Maddox showed up with a bowtie for dinner. He requested I call him ‘the Doctor’. Should I have checked to see if he had a Sonic Screwdriver on him?
#doctorwho #bowtie #kid #dressup
‘Fun': Palaeontology fun with my son
#day4 #photoadayjuly #fun #bones #dinosaur
‘Something Soft': My son’s hair
#day29 #photoadayjune #soft #bw
Happy 4th of July!
@welovemarilyn @alwaysmarilynmonroe @bonnierose
My son won first place for the Purple Pinky Children’s Art Competition
#charity #art #school #rotaryinternational #purplepinky
Dip dyed, cut off, and distressed my jeans for new summer shorts.
#shorts #jeans #dipdye #summer #diy
|Mirror crashed and broke into way too many pieces than I have patience for today. http://instagr.am/p/MpvvaZIk-J/|
‘Favourite part of your day': Receiving messages from friends & family all over the world.
#day3 #photoadayjuly #phone #text #message
My dinner before the game.
#pizza #eurocup2012 #italia
A new book for my summer reading.
#summer #read #book #ontheroad #kerovac
Its Game Day.
#eurocup2012 #italy #italia
Attending the Summer Concert at my boys’ school.
#school #concert #music #singing #songs
- The sun has been up since 0400 and its now 0920 and it is currently 22°C. Is it too early for frozen yoghurt?
- My current dream car is the 1909 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. She is beautiful. #car #vintage #rollsroyce #silverhttp://t.co/UwYd9qPR
- You know what night is…its Italy vs Germany. Forza Italia! xx
- First goal goes to Italy! #eurocup2012 #italy
- SUPER MARIO!!!!!!! And a yellow card for taking off his shirt! HA #eurocup2012 #italy
- Photo: Italy vs Germany! #eurocup #italy #shadesofblue #maggio #christian #parody #football #forzaazzurri…http://t.co/bBkgVlMU
- Buffon ti amo! #eurocup2012
- Going to not comment in recent game events and instead point out that keeper Buffon looks a lot like actor John Turturro. #eurocup2012
- I love Di Natale! xx #eurocup2012
- Italia did it! They go on to play Spain in the finals! #EUROCUP2012
- Up to episode five of season two. I think Richard, the war vet missing half his face, might be one of my favourite characters because I think the actor does such a great job bringing him to life.
- Last day of work at salon until September. Just one last unsold appt for cut&style available xx
- Last appt sold. See you in September. xx
- Seeing Michael’s heart break as tears rushed to his eyes when he saw Fiona in jail made my own heart ache. When Fiona started crying, I did too. Do I really have to wait two weeks till the next episode?
- Hulk vs Loki was hilarous.
- From my boys’room I hear Optimus Prime singing Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance. >>
- You know you’re a TCK from multi cultural background when your brain instantly blurts out appropriately…http://t.co/7IR52Caz
- 25 super-easy everyday hairstyles for long hairhttp://t.co/NYxIb07h
- Wising I was at the beach and not cleaning, so my tunes this morning are @jackjohnson & @jasjason_mraz
- To my Canadian friends, Happy (country I tell English people I’m from) Day.
- Watching the Eurocup 2012 Finals Italy vs Spain #eurocup2012 #Italy http://t.co/6DOJo9gZ
- Wish I could watch the game at the pub with @ryanA_official & his friends bc not only am I watching alone but just missed 5min bc of my net.
- Great. Apparently I missed the goal. Italy catch up! #notamused #eurocup2012
- Italy it was not our year. #eurocup2012
- “Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan.” Gillian Darmody – Season II, Episode VIII
- Photo: My son won first place for the Purple Pinky Children’s Art Competition #charity #art #school…http://t.co/R42pxjo0
- Photo: Third Culture Kids. Artwork by my own little TCK, Ronan (age 7) http://t.co/McS6Uokk
- My hair seems to be more wavy & less curly the longer it gets. I love the natural waves with a centre part as of late.http://t.co/bkwtb0fy
- Polio has been the theme today. So blessed to have two healthy kids after watching that heartache.
- Sometimes Im terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts. #edgarallanpoe #quote
- Emily and Jef are still my favourite couple.
- Photo: Self Portrait Challenge 2012 #selfportrait #hairflip #birds #movement #longhair #feathers (Taken with…http://t.co/zCFVWkq3
- I am eating one bite of my kids’ cookies for every 15 min that they havent finished cleaning their room. It just got real. #parenting #ftw
- Rocking out to Bon Jovi for my non holiday here in England.
Can Nucky Thompson be my Uncle? 😉